Wednesday, September 22, 2010

FOUR HOTELS ~ FOUR DAYS


I never thought I would have to the opportunity to visit 4 hotels in 4 days and I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. That is why it is even more surprising that I did this just a few days ago and there were all local hotels.  A few years ago, I decided if I were going to be in this business that I would make sure I not only kept a close relationship with the venues I work with on a regular basis, I like to stay educated on all of the details.  When it comes to hotels, restaurants or party venues, everyone I know will ask my opinion before planning an event.  I get this reputation because I really pay attention and I make the time to visit as many places as I can on my time off.  I also pay attention whenever I am hosting an event at a particular location.  Of course the best way to really get to know a place is by actually spending time on the property.  This isn’t always easy to do.  With my schedule, I do not get much time away from work and projects.  So, when I had a friend in town from the East Coast this past weekend, I saw the perfect opportunity to not only take my friend on a sight seeing tour. I also saw it is an opportunity to show off some of my favorite venues/hotels in town.

Our first stop was the W hotel in Hollywood, California. I have to say I was truly impressed. I have heard people say if you have stayed at one W hotel you have stayed at them all. I would disagree and the Hollywood location proves that. The décor was new and improved from any other W I have ever visited. I have never seen a W hotel that didn’t have great décor but they went above and beyond the usual for this location. From the moment you walk into the lobby, it is pure elegance.  

Additionally, the layout is so easy to understand and the valet system was past perfection. The service was fabulous and just when you thought a view of Hollywood couldn’t be as fabulous as the view of the beach in Santa Monica, it will surprise you. We decided to kick off the weekend with massages that they helped us set up. After we walked across the street to Katsuya and had not only the best sushi I have had in a long time but the incomparable service. Our waiter was all smiles, never far away and had all of he perfect answers. All of his suggestions were dead on and his descriptions equally as perfect. Even though I spent a lot of time at Drai’s over the past few months, I didn’t have the chance to visit this go round. As I told my friend, LA is a city you have to do in doses. You can never take in such a great city all at once.

Our next stay was at the Mondrian Hotel in West Hollywood. The Mondrian has been around a while longer than the W in Hollywood but it is still worth the stay. Sitting at the top of the hill on Sunset, it has a great view of the city. From hanging out at the Sky Bar to the ability to walk to all of the great restaurants nearby, the location is ideal. We spent most of the day at the pool and then some rest and relaxation at the Sky Bar. Later that evening it was a short cab ride to BOA Steakhouse in Beverly Hills at the suggestion of the concierge at the hotel.  They called and made reservations and checked with us the next day to find out how we enjoyed our dinner.  Of course of all the hotels we visited, it was the most expensive per night and now I know why.

The next night we moved up the road a little to the London hotel, which is also in West Hollywood. I have had quite a few events there in the last year so I was excited to show it off. As usual, it didn’t disappoint. The service was impeccable as usual, the views were beautiful and my friend really enjoyed the décor. It was lot of fun and it was definitely the perfect way to say goodbye to West Hollywood.

Last, we moved on to Santa Monica and stayed at the Viceroy. It was a really tough choice trying to decide where to stay. I recently did an event at the Huntley in Santa Monica but I have had more than a few events at the Viceroy in Santa Monica. Of course I was tempted to stay at Loews. Yet, I have stayed at the Viceroy and it has never disappointed. Since I was an official tour guide, I wanted to make sure I took my guest to the right spots. I honestly think we should have spent at least another day in Santa Monica.  It was all that I remembered starting with the pool at the Viceroy.  It was all that I remembered from the beginning of the summer. It was so beautiful that we decided to rent a cabana and entertain some of our friends. I thought the events team was fabulous along with the front desk staff but the pool staff didn’t disappoint either.  Everyone was glad they came out to spend the day with us in Santa Monica and I wished we had another day to spend there. In the evening we went for drinks at Bar Chloe and got room service when we got back to the room.

No comments: