Tuesday, August 10, 2010

STORYBOARDS TELL YOUR EVENT'S STORY


Everything begins with a story.  Every anniversary party I have done, occurred because two people fell in love.  That is the same feeling I have for every baby shower I have ever organized.  This is a job that I enjoy because I love the stories and the happiness that occurs during these parties.  Celebrations are when people are enjoying the moments that brought them here.
One of the most important things about planning an event is being organized.  The second thing that is important about an event is not only being able to visualize it but helping your client visualize it.  The event won't actually come to life until the event happens but you want to be able to have a visual layout or create a realistic view ahead of time.

One of the ways I do this is by creating a Storyboard.  A storyboard is the way that you create the path that will tell the entire story of your event.  You don't have to do it all at once.  As your event develops so does your story board in the same way you tell the story.  Your storyboard should is a type of map, outlining all the major steps needed to complete your event.  There is a beginning and there is an end.  It will help the people that work with you and your clients visualize what is in your head.

How do you do this?  You start this by jotting down key points, then add your ideas and any concepts.  Add textures for various linens or color swatches so that you can compare them with the other colors you will use.   Throughout this process you can also take photos, cut out pictures from magazines.  Write down the small details because you don't want to forget a thing.

When telling a story you want to help others visualize Who, What, When, Where, and Why.  You don't want to miss any of the details.  When I am done with an event or the project, I create a nice scrapbook for my clients with the evolution of their event.  This is invaluable for weddings that I have planned for a year or more.  They can see where their project begin and of course they know how it turned out.

Currently, I am working on my own storyboard and I enjoy telling my own story.  I also enjoy being a part of the many stories of my clients I have worked with to date.  Don't forget, it doesn't have to be a special event to create a story board to tell your story.  However, you definitely want to remember the important moments.  Don't forget to create a storyboard for your next event.  Make sure you never forget the moments worth remembering.

No comments: