Thursday, April 8, 2010

CHOOSING THE RIGHT SONG FOR THE RIGHT MOMENT

I have always wondered how couple's arrive at the songs they choose for their wedding. From the engagement video to the first dance, there is always a surprise. As we continue to graduate from the traditional way of doing things I am always excited by what my couple's come up with. I think excited is the word I use because it is exciting to find out what songs will best communicate their feelings and tell another part of their love story.

When I first started planning weddings, I had a very traditional take on things. More than likely that was because I was a young planner and while was experienced in my field, I wasn't experienced in love. Over time, I have observed so many love stories that I sing a different tune. When a bride or couple is having a hard time choosing a song, I tell them to pick something that identifies the moment best. If it is there first dance, how do they see their first dance? If it is the ceremony song, I ask them what song is the song that you want to identify the start of your life together. If they want to make it funny, I tell them to make it funny. If they want it romantic, I tell them to make it romantic. It is always what makes them feel best about their day.

Mostly, I have always wondered what goes into the decision making process and I am sure it is different with every couple. Then this morning something interesting happened. Well, the story actually started before this morning. A few months ago my boyfriend and I were working on a project together diligently. The radio was playing in the background for most of the day. Then, the song "Amanda" by Boston came on. During most of the song there was silence. Then, just randomly, he picked an object made a microphone and proceeded to lip sync the song. I started to sing along and just like that we made an air band.

As I stated that was a couple of months ago but this morning as I was getting ready to head to the office the song came on. I don't know why but it made me stop in my tracks. Right now, he is away and the song took me back to an awesome moment between us. When I think of all the songs we have heard together I don't know why this one stood out but it made me realize that maybe this is how wedding songs are chosen. No matter how different it seems to everyone on the outside, it represents something for the couple deep inside.

As I grow and progress in my career and in love, I have learned that experience is valuable in this business. Now, when I advise a couple on the song they will choose, I don't think I will say anything much different than I have said in the past. It will be the way I say it that will change. I will tell them to choose with their heart and I will not only mean it, I will know what it feels like.

No comments: